Monday, January 16, 2012

We're all Billy Elliot



Welcome family to my first blog. I've always thought it's sane to write things down, so this is my attempt to share with you what I think and what I feel. I apologize for my written English. I promise to do my best and will try to make sense (doesn't happen all the time.. hahaha).

My first inspiration is "Billy Elliot". I watched the movie again last night and I remember now why I fell in love with this film the first time: We're all Billy at some point of our lives. I say so because we all have a passion for something. We might not know what it is probably because we are too busy trying to follow the standards of our dear society. And yes, I know it sounds cliché, but I'm convinced that we all have a purpose in life. I truly believe that there is something unique in all of us that makes us feel powerful. We don't necessarily listen to that inner voice because most of the time, we feel ridiculous for wanting something that seems impossible and/or we care too much about what "others" might think.

While I write this I say to myself: I'm so lucky! I feel free and unstoppable, and there is nothing (no money, no corporate job, no one) that can take away the happiness of doing something I enjoy so much. 

I don't miss my previous life. For those of you who don't know, I quit my well paid engineering job to pursue my childhood dream: being a singer. Oh God it feels good to say that without any shame or regret.. I am a singer! 

I wanted to share this feeling because it set me free. I had to go through a process that wasn't easy. I had to feel crazy for wanting to pursue a dream I had when I was 5 years old and that I never had the courage to follow. I had to feel crazy for leaving a well paid job that was supposed to give me the confort and stability we're told we need to be happy. Well, I don't care about any of that anymore as Billy didn't care about what anybody thought of his passion. He never stopped dancing and I'll never stop singing and it's simple as that!

Don't be Billy's grandmother who keeps repeating she "could" have been a professional dancer. Be Billy and do it.

If you don't believe we're all Billy Elliot, ask the people around you what they would love to do and what their passion is ( I did it). You'll see what I mean. You'll see the light in their eyes when they talk about it and you'll understand why I wanted to write this blog.

So this is it! I thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts and most of all, I invite you to listen to my music because it's the fruit of my passion and my dreams. I hope you can feel my happiness and I also hope that when you sing along, you feel inspired to follow your own dreams too.

love,

Mao



6 comments:

  1. Mao - This is an INSPIRING Blog post! Thanks for sharing it Too many people spend their lives in "should" and it takes something BIG to really go for it no matter what it takes. Creating a life that you love is special and critical to full success. Looking forward to watching your 9 week journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ariel!! I'm glad you liked my blog post. I'm working really hard in my new website and I just finished my first EP. It's so exciting because I'm at the last step of the creative process. Thank you and @caricole for your wisdom!

      Love,

      Mao

      Delete
  2. It is really inspiring! thank you for this post! But I have a question: how did you know that you want to be a singer? Not a painter or writer or anything else. I think you have a lot of hobbies. I ask bekause I ask myself everyday: what do I want to do? And find no answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! I'm glad you liked the post. Regarding your question, I think the only way of knowing what you want to do as a career is by trying different things and letting your heart decide. To be honest, singing is something I've done all my life. Somehow, there's no other hobby that fills me up the way music does. When I was a kid I dreamed about being a singer. What did you want to be when you were a child? Do you have any memories of that?? Maybe the answer is right there! ;)

      Let me know if this was helpful... I hope you find your passion. Try different things you enjoy doing and you'll see that for one of them you'll have a very special gift.... ;)

      Mao

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your answer ))
    When I was a child, I used to choose every day a new occupation for myself. I woke up and, going to kindergarden or school, said to my mom: today I'm a cook/pianist/actress/stewardess, don't forget it! One day I decided, cockoo can be a good profession.
    I was 12, when I wrote my first story and my parents said to me: you will be a writer! Some years I believed, that "one day I'll be a writer". In ten years (since I graduated) I changed many jobs: I was a gardener, schoolteacher, secretary, courier, had my own gift shop, hotelmanager, consultant in a wheelshop, copywriter. I learned chineese tea ceremony, tryed to learn painting.

    I think, the problem is that I want to do everything

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Superprofan! I guess many of us want to do everything :) I was like that when I was a child too. AS adults, we need to make choices. We need to think about what we do best and let others do their thing too...

    Have a great weekend!!

    Mao

    ReplyDelete